Friday, June 21, 2013

Frosty Cups Treats for your Favorite Pup


Happy First Day of Summer to everyone! I hope that you made it a great day. It is a beautiful night here in SC and Charlie and I are doing a little back porch sittin'. We worked all week and are just taking some down time to recharge and relax. I have a large glass of iced tea (unsweet of course) and he just had his Frosty Cup for dessert, made especially for him by his Mom. Yes that is me!! I am one of those weird people that is a "dog mom" but I wouldn't have it any other way.  He is my baby and he gets to celebrate the first day of summer as well. As a matter of fact, at age 13, he gets to celebrate anything and everything he wants. 

To get him to wait for this pic was difficult. As my Dad says, he is the most food driven dog anyone has ever seen. This trait has given us some pretty funny times.

So the story of Charlie... I could tell it for days. But for those of you that are not in the know. Charlie was a rescue.  Here in Greenville, SC we have an amazing rescue group called Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue and in 2002, after a lengthy application process, I was the fortunate one chosen to be Charlie's Mom. At that time, they were calling him Spencer, but fortunately for us, no had told him that was his name. He quickly became Charlie, after Charleston, SC. And due to his huge, laid back, silly personality, that name has fit perfectly. Charlie's past is pretty unknown. The only thing we know is that this huge guy with perfect manners and a huge personality was between 2-3 and was left in an apartment in Charlotte, NC. Then he became mine. And the rest is history....


Heading to the beach.

From August 18th, 2002 until now Charlie has been my best friend. He has been included in all aspects of my life.  He goes to work at the office every day where he is the local celebrity and people come just to see him. He has gone on every vacation and stayed in numerous hotels across the east coast. He is welcome in all of my family's houses. He has been to the beach and to the lake. He has been through everything and been everywhere with me. It doesn't matter where we are, he is my ever present support and has the most devoted love. This past 2 years he has helped to carry my burden... And I don't know where I would be without him.


Office Hero!

And now I am helping him carry his. Charlie is 13 years old, as far as we know, and for a big dog that is a lot of years. He is definitely slowing down and it breaks my heart. The time is coming when he will be walking over the Rainbow Bridge. When that time comes, he will be celebrated by so many people, myself included. He has given and taught me so much and right now we are embracing his later years. We are eating ice cream on a warm summer night on the back porch. We are eating fresh warm tomatoes from the garden (my dad taught him how to pick his own.) We are watching fireflies land on his paws. We are listening to what his body needs and not asking too much. And we are sharing lots of hugs. We are celebrating every moment....

My "Big Man"


 

Frosty Cups Treats for your Favorite Pup

When we adopted Charlie from FHGRR they gave us this recipe for a frozen dog treat. I have made them for him every summer. He loves them!!

The one thing Charlie still does fast... EATS!!!
1 quart vanilla yogurt
1 medium banana
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp local honey

Puree the banana in a blender or food processor. Add the peanut butter and honey and continue to blend until smooth. Add the yogurt and blend until all ingredients are incorporated. Place 10-12 small bathroom size paper cups in a baking pan. Fill cups 3/4 full. Freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the cups to a Ziploc bag for storage. When ready to serve, place cup in microwave for about 10 seconds to soften. Tear off cup and place in dog's bowl. Tell them you love them and let them enjoy!!

All done Mom!! Can I have another??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love you, Charlie!
Grammy n Pappy C, GG and JJ

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...