Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Halupki (Cabbage) Casserole


This past Saturday I was prompted to take some cooking action. Here in South Carolina we rarely get snow or any kind of inclement winter weather. They threaten us multiple times throughout the winter but usually that all it is- a threat! My friends and I always say that we think the weatherman and the local grocery store chains have an agreement that when grocery sales are a little low, their buddy the weatherman calls for some snow or ice. At the first sign of these threats families run out  and stock their cabinets and fridge. Cha- ching for the weatherman- luxury car payment for the month of February! But that is just our "conspiracy theory...."


Back to my story, so this Saturday as I am pulling in to my driveway from work and the gym, it starts to snowand it was coming down fast. Being from PA originally, snow does not bother me, but I know here all things cease. At first, I was put off by that but now I have learned to appreciate the time off in my normally busy life. In my back yard, I still was nurturing some veggies that I had planted in a fall garden. I had been using these veggies kind of slowly, but here where the weather is temperate, cabbages, collard and some root veggies will overwinter and be ready to eat at any time. Snow and freezing temps will challenge the cabbage though. So, out I go with my big butcher knife and a laundry basket to cut the rest of the cabbages -five in total, some as big as basketballs. So this weekend, I have been forced to cook cabbage; which is OK since I love it (and I was slacking a little on using them quickly enough.) As you all know, any time commitment to the kitchen makes me happy. In this case, not only do I get to eat something I love, I get to enjoy the time prepping it. And the best part, the cabbage was homegrown my ME!





This recipe is very much the same tastes as the Stuffed Cabbage (Halupki) that I posted previously. It is just much more simple to make. I prefer the original Halupki, but I have friends and family that love this recipe. I hate to say but this is the "lazy man halupki." Give it a try! See if you like the tastes and then try the original.





Halupki (Cabbage) Casserole


1 Medium head of cabbage
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup rice
1 can tomato soup
2- 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 cup water salt and pepper to taste

Chop cabbage into medium size pieces and spread in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan. Brown meat and onion in a large skillet breaking meat apart with a spoon.



Precook rice. Stir the rice into the meat and onions adding salt and pepper to taste. Spoon meat rice mixture over raw cabbage.



In the meantime in a saucepan, heat soup, tomato sauce and water to boiling.





Pour soup mixture over all other ingredients. Cover the whole pan tightly with foil (you want it totally closed off so the cabbage will steam) and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.



4 comments:

A. Linda said...

I have made it this way and I loved it. So much easier than rolling the cabbage but doesn't remind me of growing up as much as the regular ones do.

ewphoria said...

Very tastey. Thank you for sharing.

ewphoria said...

Very tastey. Thank you for sharing.

Geraldine Pfeil said...

I made this but instead of rice I used cauliflower rice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...