Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cherry Blondies

 

 

Hi Ho Cherry O! These blondies are delish! As we have already established, cherries are my favorite fruit and always make me think of my Grandma Clarke.  When I saw this recipe and the combo of cherries and chocolate, I knew this recipe was for me. And the best thing about it: "It is EASY." I had all the basic ingredients in my cabinet, had just been to the store and was the victim of good product placement; there were huge bags of Bing cherries displayed as soon as I walked in the door. Sucker!! So, one night after work I made these and I have to admit, I ate 3. I know, I know... I have to go to the beach in 1 week... But don't worry, I quickly  had 2 ideas! I wrapped the rest of this batch up and hid them (from myself) to take to work the next day. They were raved over and did not make it past lunch time. And then, the next night I made a fresh batch to freeze for the beach. Evil?? How?? Muhahaha!!!

 

Chocolate Chip Cherry Blondies


Soooo good... but rich. But don't worry, I personally tested them. You can only eat 3. LOL!

 

Makes an 8-by-8-inch pan, 9 generous squares

1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
3/4 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cherries (or combination of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries; fresh or frozen – Note: if using frozen fruit, don’t bother thawing; stir it in frozen or it will “bleed” into the batter; baking time is not noticeably effected using frozen fruit)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 60 seconds. To the melted butter, add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Add the egg, vanilla, and stir to combine. Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, taking care not to over mix or the blondies will be tough. Fold in chocolate chips, fruit, and pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula or offset knife if necessary.

Bake for 40- 45 minutes, or until edges begin to slightly pull away from sides of pan and center is set. Baking time will vary based on types of fruit used, fresh, frozen, and the moisture content of the fruit; and how gooey you like your blondies. A toothpick inserted into the middle may not come out clean due to the chocolate chips or juicy fruit. Allow bars to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.

The blondies are ripe for substitutions and variations. Add or Try: Other fresh or frozen fruit, peaches, nectarines, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries; M&Ms, white chocolate chips, toffee bits, coconut flakes, macadamia nuts.



Recipe by Averie Cooks

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...