Sunday, May 19, 2013

Roasted Ginger Balsamic Glazed Beets


I know not everyone is a fan of beets but once again I ask you to give them a try. I have a track record of converting several people into "beet lovers" and as you all know I am a self-proclaimed fan of beets. If you do not try them for the taste alone, give them a try as a natural, digestive aid. Beets are great liver and blood detoxifiers. This is one of the prime reasons that I have incorporated them into my diet in any way possible. I am a huge believer that all the nutrients and health that our body needs can be found in nature. I believe that the body has the ability to heal itself if you feed it with the best nutrients possible. Beets are one of those ingredients, especially if you have digestive issues. Why take in some foreign substance produced in a lab with 200 possible side effects when right in your grocery store you have the answer that all that ails you??

Since it has rained almost every weekend here in SC, last Sunday, while I was doing all my regular household chores (laundry, vacuuming, and cleaning the kitchen) I decided to throw some beets in the oven for a slow roast. Not sure what I would make with them when they were done, I knew that I could whip up something that I would enjoy all week long. After the beets were finished, I made this recipe up with a few ingredients I had around the kitchen. These were great. I ate them warm that first night but then ate them as a cold side dish for several nights after; even serving them to a friend.

Click here for more of my favorite beet recipes.


Roasted Ginger Balsamic Glazed Beets


And as I write this post this morning, I am watching Cooking Channel (as usual) and ironically Good Eats with Alton Brown comes on with his beet episode. Sometimes when I watch these shows I think "Huh? I could have my own show."  We all must dream right???



2 lbs beet (about 3 large beets)
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil                                           
1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated ginger                                                  
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt                                                 
Pepper 



Carefully scrub the beets clean trimming off the leaves and the long root tip. Tightly wrap beets in aluminum foil and place in oven for 40-50 minutes or until the beets are tender and the skin is loose. Remove from oven and cut a slit in the foil to allow the steam to escape.


Allow the beets to cool enough so that you can handle them. Trim the ends and peel the skin. The skin should slip of quite easily. If not then perhaps the beets need a bit more cooking. Cut the peeled beets into sixths or eighths - depending on the size of your beets.



Heat oil under medium low heat. Add ginger and cook one or two minutes. Keep the heat low as you are looking to release the flavor. If your ginger sizzles or browns, then your heat is too high. Add the beets and cook two or three minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook another minute or so. The oil, vinegar and ginger should create nice glaze covering the beets.


Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen said...

I like beets, but I never ever think to cook them. Love all the fresh ginger you added. That must be a really amazing flavor combination!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...