Saturday, June 1, 2013

Spicy Taco Soup



I love soup!! As you can probably tell. I always have but now I have more of an opportunity to eat it whenever I want. I love the versatility of soup with a salad, a sandwich or alone. It is simple and one pot can feed one person for a very long time. One of my favorite thing about soup is the fact that most of them I can freeze into single serving containers and pull out as needed. With my busy work schedule of teaching and seeing patients, some days I want to come home and have no prep or cooking time. I want to plop down on my couch with a bowl of soup in my lap and watch nonsense TV. Yes, here is my confession: I will watch Real Housewives of Anywhere. Watching these tucked, coiffed and bedazzled "reality" (loosely stated) stars have cat fights and party till their wigs fall off , makes me feel grounded and amazingly intelligent. And best of all after a day of decision making and being responsible, these shows do not require me to think. These modern day "soap operas" are one of my secret obsessions, but a girl has to draw the line somewhere right??  Never, never will the Kardashians be seen on my screen. Sorry, just saying: even tacky can be taken too far!!




Spicy Taco Soup

I know soup is more of a winter food but this one I made just last week and I loved it. It was a little spicy but that is easily fixable with less peppers and cumin. It would be great as a main meal or as a side dish. Give it a try!!




2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced bell pepper
3 minced garlic cloves
1  cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 (15 1/2-ounce) cans cannelloni (white kidney) beans
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can red kidney beans
 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
2 (4 1/2-ounce) cans diced green chiles (or use Pickled Hot Wax Peppers)
1 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
3 Tbsp cumin
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Corn chips, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
Grated cheese, for garnish
Cilantro, for garnish



Veggies and homemade Pickled Hot Wax Peppers

Brown the ground beef, onions, pepper and garlic in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, taco seasoning, and all other ingredients. Cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove. To serve ladle in bowl and top with corn chips, sour cream, cheese, cilantro or jalapenos.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...