Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pickled Hot Wax Peppers or Jalapenos

Canned hot peppers
So where have I been? I have had a crazy last few weeks. As fall comes, and summer, my favorite season of the year quickly slips away, so does a lot of my personal time. This seems to happen every year. Maybe it is symbolic in some way. I will have to think about that.... Anyway, aside from being back to teaching school and still working at my office, I have had a great past few weeks surrounded with people I really love and have had some unique experiences. My parents were here for the Labor day weekend (more to come on that visit),  I went to a local artisan craft festival with some great friends, this weekend I attended a totally inspirational continuing education seminar that I am excited about implementing at my office, and thanks to a new knitting store in town, I have gotten bitten again by the knitting bug. Christmas gifts are flying off my needles daily.

I know that I have been slacking on my blog and it is not because I don't love you but I guess I took a hiatus because life happened. For the past 2 weeks, I have felt guilty about not blogging. I have been cooking and baking, but just not letting everyone know about it. Today, however, I got two quiet reminders to step it up. First, this morning, I wake to a web page congratulating me on my blog and asking me to add my blog to their food website. Cool huh? Then after my inspirational seminar ended this afternoon, I was still floating in the possibility of "helping others" and making a difference and I receive a grounding text from my sister asking "When is there going to be another Bonbons & Biscotti Blog?" Ugghhhh!

Even though from my front door to my sisters it is 543 miles, at times we somehow know without talking , that the other is in need of something, whatever that something might be; emotional support, a reason to laugh or as today a kick in the butt. I think this unspoken connection has really become obvious to me over the past year. At times I feel like she needs me in some way and at times when I need a little push (like today,) or some sort of comforting, she has seemed to know. Even about a months ago she had a dream about something that I have been contemplating in my life. These "sister stories" are not uncommon but I guess to me it is a new finding in my life and a welcomed connection with someone who is very important in my life.

So little sis, I posted this recipe for you since we both are such dorks when we make this recipe; lining our newly canned, beautiful jars up on the counter to appreciate and show everyone. Sister canning pride!





Fresh picked Hot Hungarian Wax peppers, Jalapenos and Red Bell peppers

Pickled Hot Wax Peppers

Wearing rubber gloves, cut peppers in whatever shape that you like. I prefer to cut the wax peppers in quarters and removed the seeds. I like to cut the jalapenos in rings and leave the seeds inside. Leaving the seeds inside will allow the peppers to retain more heat. Depending on what you want to use these for will help you to determine what shape to cut the peppers.


Cut peppers in one of these shapes.


Sterilize pint canning jars, lids and rings in hot boiling water.

In a pot, heat up equal parts water and white vinegar until boiling. Typically I begin with 4 cups of water and 4 cups of vinegar. This should be enough to fill about 6 pint jars of peppers. One of the great things about this recipe is you can alter the amount of water/vinegar mixture to however many peppers you have. You can really can only one jar of peppers if that is all you picked.

Remove one jar from the boiling water. Place 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp sugar into each hot jar. Pack the peppers into the jar tightly but allowing room for the hot vinegar mix.  With a canning funnel and ladle, fill the jars with the vinegar solution until the peppers are covered and leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the rim of the jar off  to assure a good seal. Adjust lids and rings and move jars to a tea towel lined table or counter. You do not have to process these in a canner. Wait to hear each of the jars seal.

These are great on about anything. I love them in chili and soups as well as pressed sandwiches and sauteed veggies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...