Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Traditional Southern Tomato Pie




Some more Garden Goodness coming your way!

So I have lived in South Carolina for 14 years and for 14 years, I have heard about the elusive Southern Tomato Pie. No... let me rephrase. As the locals say- Southern Tomato Piiiiii. Yes, I have lived here for 14 years and have yet to taste the tomato piiii. A few years ago, a local friend gave me this recipe and told me I had to try it cause it was amazing. And I am guilty again, it went into the vault of recipes that I just have to try..... someday.  I finally did this weekend. After two huge pieces, I literally had to walk away from the pie!!! This thing is like crack. It is so good! It might be a little on the fattening side( a little?!?!?!)  but who cares when you get to experience all the goodness of local homegrown herbs and veggies covered with a bubbling pimento cheese like topping. I did end up sharing a few pieces of my new addiction with a few very special friends. But don't worry,  last night, I had a totally healthy meal. I ate a huge piece of tomato piiii w a tiny side salad. LOL!!!!! I guess it is all how you look at things!!


Traditional Southern Tomato Pie

OK. I can not share a piece of this pie with you but I can give you the recipe so you can make your own. Sorry I do not have a nice pic of just a slice. It was delish but a little mess when hot.




 9-inch pie shell
1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
4-6 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 4 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced basil
2  cups grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozarella)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the crust with aluminum foil and pre-bake pie crust  for 15-20 minutes or longer until lightly golden.

Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels or a clean dish towel.

Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.

In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 30-40 minutes.




Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...