Sunday, August 4, 2013

Peach and Basil Bliss Cocktail



Welcome to Bonbons and Biscotti "Peach Week!" I am really excited to share some of these recipes with you. Here in South Carolina, peaches are the fruit of summer. They are sweet and fragrant and just beautiful. Since I moved here 14 years ago this October, I have learned how to truly love the peach. In the summer, I frequent the local peach farm which is about 4 miles down the road and buy peaches, blackberries, cantaloupe and all things summer that I do not grow myself. I love going to Fisher's Orchard to get my local produce. When I get there, they have a large section of fruit that is called "soft peaches." AKA- they have seen better days or they are marked up in some way (hail damage usually.)  I love this section. Most times, if I am shopping to bake or mash peaches up in drinks, it really does not matter what they look like. On any given day, in the soft peach section, you can find me and at least 2 other elderly women collecting peaches for our baking. It is always makes for an interesting conversation and some true local baking knowledge. This past week when I went, they had half bushels of these beautiful peaches you see in the pictures half off cause they were judged to be too small for sale. I instantly felt sorry for them.... I was worried they would get a complex due to this judgement. I decided to turn their fate around. I bought them, took them home and turned them into all things wonderful.


Peach and Basil Bliss Cocktail

This drink was inspired by the fragrance of those wonderful peaches. I have bunches of basil on hand at all times during the summer so pulling this together literally took minutes. Enjoy!!


3 ounces Peach Basil Puree
1 1/2 ounce Bourbon (if you’re not a bourbon drinker, substitute vodka!)
1 1/2 ounce club soda

For Peach Basil Puree:
2 fresh very ripe peaches
6 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Puree ingredients.
Add peach basil puree and bourbon to an ice-filled glass.  Serve unstrained on the rocks, top with club soda.  Garnish with slices of peach and basil leaves.

Recipe by The Hopeless Housewife

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...