Saturday, July 27, 2013

Summer Tomatoes, Slashed and Stuffed




This is one of my favorite summer recipes. Why?? Because it says my garden is plentiful, the sun is shining and I have so many tomatoes that I am just searching for ways to prepare them. This recipe has such simple, clean flavors that really define summer for me. The taste of homegrown tomatoes is really something to be treasured. There is only a few months out of the year that tomatoes are at their prime and this recipe definitely capitalizes on that flavor. Each of these little buttery tomatoes pops in your mouth and you have the instant taste of summer.

 This is a great appetizer or an amazing side dish. I have made this recipe for many different people and it has always gotten rave reviews. Give it a try!! I guarantee you will be impressed.




 

 

Summer Tomatoes, Slashed and Stuffed



Ripe tomatoes of your choice (I had a lot of large cherry tomatoes in various colors. The original recipe called for full size tomatoes.)
5-6 Tbsp. of unsalted butter cut into cubes
6-8 fresh basil leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the tomatoes in a baking dish and make a shallow slash in each tomato. Poke finger into the tomato to make a hole and stuff each with a cube of butter and 1/2 of a basil leaf. Drizzle the tops of the tomatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until the skins begin to shrivel and the tomatoes are warmed through, 20-25 min depending on the size of the tomato. Let the tomatoes rest for about 10 minutes before eating. They are lava HOT!

Recipe by Tyler Florence

2 comments:

Mocadeaux said...

I would eat these like candy! Definitely going to try this recipe...I only wish I had a garden in which to grow the tomatoes. I'll have to rely on the farmer's market or generous neighbors!

Rebecca said...

Thanks Mocadeaux.. I fall into the generous neighbor category. This week it is cucumbers. I am giving them away by the bagfull. Stay times for some great recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...