Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup



Butternut Squash soup with Arkansas Black apples and a little Gorgonzola cheese

So it is fall. Although this is not one of my favorite times of the year, I do love some of the foods that this time of year allows me to start making. It is time for casseroles, roasted veggies, pies, and everything  pumpkin but I am especially fond of different types of soup. I love taking  time over the weekend to make a different type of soup that I can eat all week. When I come home from a long day of work and I am tired I know that I have some great soup and a glass of wine that will warm my tummy and my spirits. Since I am not a TV watcher, I curl up on the couch, usually with my laptop, and eat and read blogs. LOL!

One thing that a lot of my girlfriends all say, is that they love soup or salad for dinner. It is something to snuggle up with at the end of the day that is light, healthy and does not come with a lot of guilt;  no meat and potatoes, if you know what I mean. What girl needs meat and potatoes??? Wink! Wink!


I like to make this for an everyday meal but in the past I made it as a Thanksgiving appetizer and it got rave reviews. I have shared this recipe with a lot of my girlfriends, and family. It is a great low calorie recipe because it has no heavy cream so eat up- you will get lots of Vitamin A.

Butternut Squash Soup



2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 carrot, diced
3 celery stalk, diced
1 1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
one medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed, about 8 cups
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Apples of your choice
Gorgonzola cheese crumbles

Cutting all the veggies takes the most time but makes this soup extra healthy!


Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add carrot, celery, garlic and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 8 to10 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper.

Great color!

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 40 minutes.

Cooked down and ready to puree



Use an immersion blender to puree soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully puree in batches in a traditional blender.


Fall Deliciousness! So creamy!
Garnish with apple slices and Gorgonzola cheese. Or you can add some hot peppers and cilantro. Add fresh herbs. Play around different combinations to get different tastes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...