Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake

 


What is my favorite food? Well, of course it is CAKE!!! And this has been my lucky week! I have been in CAKE HEAVEN!! I am so fortunate to have some great friends and family who love me and are enablers in my CAKE addiction. (Yes, I realize I have capitalized CAKE every time! That is how excited I have been about this past week!!) This past Wednesday was my 37th birthday and I have been fortunate enough to receive three really amazing CAKES (hehehe!!!) to help me celebrate. All of them have been chocolate and delicious. Two of them were homemade, which (if you have been reading) is the way to my heart.

 It all started 2 weeks ago when my sister bought me a marble CAKE with chocolate butter cream frosting.  Then, at work, my co-worker brought a chocolate layer CAKE with strawberry filling and chocolate ganache.  And, a day after that, my guy really branched out with his first foray into baking (he is already an excellent cook) by making a double, dark chocolate layer CAKE and decorating it with cute caricatures of US!!! Can you tell I am smiling while I am writing this?? It was a happy, happy CAKE filled week!!

Now in all my post-birthday glory, I will drag my "post-CAKE eating self" off to the gym at lunch!

Ugggg.....

 

Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake

This is a little cake I whipped up for myself one day last week when we were snowed in. It was my real day of birth and while I was cooped up at home, I decided I needed some chocolate. And why not some wine too.... Yum!

 

8 Tbsp butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup Malbec or your favorite red wine 
2 tsp. vanilla
1 - 11/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of dark cocoa powder 
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the other dry ingredients. In the bowl, of a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape the bowl down between addition.Gradually add in the wine and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients (if the batter is too wet add a bit of the extra flour.) Mix only until incorporated. Spoon into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
 

 
Recipe adapted from French Press

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...