Sunday, September 8, 2013

Baba Ganoush



So what do I do when I am stressed and feel like life is not going my way??? Anyone paying attention out there??? I cook!! And in this case, I knit as well. (Uh Ohh! that is not a good sign.) This weekend has been a trying one but unfortunately my life has been this way for so long that I know that "busy is best." So I planned doctor's appointments, craft parades, event with friends and lots of activities for this weekend. I have been fairly successful.... NO! I am proud of myself and I will say I have done excellently, considering. (If you are lost, you have not been reading often.... shame! Lol!)



So this morning when my wonderful, sweet pups who love me dearly, woke me up at 7am  on my only day off, I needed something to do. (Do you sense the sarcasm here?) Thankfully, one of my employees and friends brought me 6 Japanese Eggplant and boy did I have plans for them. Here is the outcome and it is fabulous! Once you eat this you will never order Baba Ganoush at a restaurant again when you can make it so easy! I promise. It is smoky, garlicky goodness!



 

Baba Ganoush

I love the smokiness of this dish. I charred the eggplant on the grill to get a great smoky flavor. The garlic is strong but I love it. If you like it a little more sweet, you can always roast the garlic to mellow it out. I also grilled some pita to get it warm and smoky. You can not go wrong with this dish in any way!! Make some tonight. Literally it was that easy!




3 medium size eggplant or 6 Japanese eggplant
1/2 cup tahini
1 tsp. sea salt
3 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper

For garnish
Olive oil
Smoked paprika
A bundle of cilantro or parsley depending on your taste

Heat grill to medium high. Pierce eggplant with a fork. Place directly on grill. As the skin chars, turn them until the eggplant are uniformly blackened. Remove from grill. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place eggplant on a baking sheet and bake for 15-30 minutes depending on the type of eggplant. The eggplant are fully cooked when a knife goes into the eggplant with no resistance. Remove from oven.

Allow eggplant to cool. Split the eggplant and scrape out the pulp. Puree the pulp in a food processor. Add all other ingredients and mix until smooth. Taste and season more if necessary.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

To serve: drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and cilantro or parsley. Serve with warmed pita or baguette.

Baba Ganoush can be refrigerated for 5 days.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...