Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Cakes





So even food bloggers make mistakes..... and this recipe turned out to be one of mine. Every year when we go to the beach, I make my sister something for her birthday dessert. I typically make cupcakes and freeze them, then ice and decorate them when I get there. This year, I spoke to my 6 year old nephew on the phone and he told me he wanted ice cream cakes for his Mom's birthday. He had seen my Whoppers Malted Milk Ball Ice Cream Cake and he was having ice cream dreams. So "Aunt Becky" quickly agreed. How hard could it be?  I already took a huge cooler full of all the dinners for the week. I would make them 2 days before, freeze them and take them in the  cooler. So I set about my task.


OK..... I think you see where this story is going..... After my 8 hour drive to OBX (in typical July heat), I opened the cooler to find totally frozen steaks, chicken and even sweet potato French fries, and there was my perfect plastic container of ice cream slime?!?!?!?!!!! How could this happen? Everything else is frozen... Blah!  As I am dumping peanut butter milk down the drain and picking cupcake papers out before they go into the disposal, my Dad comes into the room and suggests refreezing them. We were way past that point.  "Aunt Becky" had let everyone down. I was not a happy girl, but I was at the beach and no one's feeling seemed too hurt. So, the next day we made strawberry shortcake and celebrated just the same.


Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Cakes


So I made another batch of these and they were well worth it and super easy! Great to have around for weekend guests or a summer dinner party.






Breyers Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
Favorite chocolate cake mix - plus ingredients to make the cake 
Cool Whip chocolate frosting
Mini Reese's peanut butter cups
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Prepare cake mix.
  3. Pour 1 tsp. of cake mix batter into each muffin cup.
  4. Bake for 6-8 minutes; allow cupcakes to cool. Do not remove the cupcakes from the pan. You will need the pan to allow you to pack the ice cream in.
  5. Top cupcakes with slightly melted ice cream. Pack the ice cream in the cups.
  6. Freeze for at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight.
  7. Top with Cool Whip frosting and mini Reese's peanut butter cup.
 
Recipe adapted from a pumpkin & a princess

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...