Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Grilled Strawberry Balsamic Brie Sandwich


OMG! This might be the best thing that I have ever made!!

Anyone that knows me knows that I am not a "sandwich kind of girl." I know that sandwiches are portable and convenient to eat almost anywhere, but it is just not my thing. Give me good bread, some cured meat (ie prosciutto or salami) and a little cheese and I am in heaven.  I think one of the reasons that I do not like the common sandwich is because most everyday sandwiches or "sandwich places" use lunch meat / cold cuts / deli meat or whatever you want to call those slivers of fatty sliminess. A slice of deli ham makes my skin crawl in ways that most people can only contribute to creepy crawly things. Can you say fatty, salty, chemical laden and most important of all, did this really come from an animal?

But this sandwich, now this sandwich... I can eat everyday. It has simple ingredients and simple tastes. The sweet strawberries, crusty bread and the creamy, buttery cheese are amazing together. The little tang of balsamic really adds depth and a dynamic to the whole thing. This was the sandwich of my dreams! If Subway would start pumping out something this fresh, I would be the first in line. But instead of holding my breath on that thought, I will make my own strawberry sandwiches. I think I am addicted.....



In this post, I want to pay homage to my Dad who made me this awesome baking board and carved the wooden spoon in the picture. I have toted this board around with me for the past 10 years. It is huge and smooth and perfect for rolling out any dough. It is one of my prized possessions. Remember our motto here at Bonbons and Biscotti- Love Begins In The Kitchen.  I think of this board as a little piece of love I keep with me in my kitchen. It is heart warming to have a little of my family's love around always.





Grilled Strawberry Balsamic Brie Sandwich

8 thinly sliced pieces of sourdough baguette
4 tablespoons butter

1 cup strawberries, chopped 
4 large basil leaves, slivered
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
kosher salt and pepper
8 ounces brie cheese

  • Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread, then flip the bread buttered side down..
  • Add the chopped strawberries to a small bowl, sprinkle with the basil leaves and dress with the extra virgin olive and balsamic vinegar. Mix gently then top with lemon zest and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • Slice the brie and spread on unbuttered sides of the bread. Spoon a generous amount of the strawberry mixture on 4 pieces of the brie topped bread.
  • Place the strawberry stacked bread, buttered side down, in a non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat and top with the other slice of buttered bread. Cover with lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
  • Reduce heat to medium and flip sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and the cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch carefully. Repeat process with the other sandwich ingredients to make the rest of the grilled cheese sandwiches. Enjoy hot.
Recipe from FoodieCrush

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...