Monday, December 24, 2012

Santa's Whiskers


Santa would love these cherry filled cookies!

Guess what? I made something with cherries in it.... Again!!! I know hard to believe. I love cherries! Some of my friends must love cherries too because quite a few of them requested this Christmas cookie that I have adopted into my regular Christmas baking routine. No cherry cookie will ever outshine the Cherry Bonbon that is always in the center of every Christmas cookie tray I send out, but this is a close second. I love the festive color of this cookie and its great chewy texture. I know that this is a cookie a lot of bloggers and bakers have spoken about and there must be a reason for that right.... because they are Yummy! And of course anything with the word Santa in, kids will love.

As I travel from the warmth of South Carolina to the the chilly temps of Pennsylvania, I am looking forward to seeing family and sharing in the holiday traditions that have made Christmas the most special day of the whole year for me. Although it was not the Christmas I expected to have this year, I am embracing the love from my family and the Hope that they will instill in me to start my New Year. This holiday I hope that all my readers are surrounded by those that they love and cherish, that good luck comes your way in the New Year and that your home is filled with love, laughter and plenty of Christmas cookies.
XOXO and Merry Christmas!

Rebecca




Santa's Whiskers

This cookie gets its name because when you roll the cookies in sweetened coconut and then bake the cookies, the coconut "whiskers" stick off the side of the cookies.

Pecans, candied cherries and coconut add great texture.

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp Milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup finely chopped candied red or green cherries
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
3/4 cup shredded coconut

Beat the butter in a large bowl for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat until combined. Beat in milk and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as you can. Stir in the remaining flour. Stir in the cherries and pecans.



Thick dense cherry dough

Shape into 2- 8inch long loaves. Roll the loaves in the coconut. Wrap them in waxed paper and chill 2-24 hours.



Roll and press coconut into surface of loaf


Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the loaves into 1/4 inch thick slices. Places slices on an ungreased cookie sheet.


Slice evenly. You can place a lot on one cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden. Remove cookies from pan and place on cooling rack. Yield- 60 cookies


Under the Christmas Tree for that special someone.

Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...