Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grandma Ethel's Calico Baked Beans


Slow cooking allows the flavors to really blend.
This is one of my Grandma Ethel's recipes that I remember eating every year at our family reunion. It is an old recipe that I have had forever but never made. I have had multiple parties and cookouts but I guess I never made "the occasion" to make this recipe. When I was planning my Summer Porch Party to share my new house with my best friends, I was going through recipes and thought why not use an old recipe that is new to me since I had never made it.

It has been quite a few years since I have had these slow baked, legumes. The classic recipe is really simple and the smell that fills the house while the beans cook is amazing. There is a good amount of bacon and ground beef in this recipe which makes it superfilling. It is hearty enough to eat as an entree or pair it with some chicken or a burger for a great side dish.

These beans got rave reviews at my party which made me proud. Not only was I proud of the recipe itself but I was humbled once again to make a recipe that was my Grandma's; keeping her spirit with me in the kitchen and through the celebrations of my life.




Grandma Ethel's Calico Baked Beans

Feel free to change the type of beans that you add. I am not a Lima bean fan so I did not use them but instead added two cans of white beans.
Mixing everything together before it goes in the oven.

1 lb Ground beef
1/2 Cup Bacon
1 Large onion chopped
1 Can 15-16 oz baked beans
1 Can same size Lima beans
1 Can same size kidney beans
1 Can same size white beans
1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup Brown sugar
1 Tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp Dry mustard
1 tsp Salt


Brown bacon and onion. Add ground beef and brown together. Add all ingredients beginning with ketchup. Stir all ingredients and place in a oven safe casserole or pan and bake uncovered for 1.5 hours @ 300 degrees. Stir occasionally during the cooking process. Enjoy!

Who's ready for dinner? Grilled Rosemary Lime Chicken, Rosemary Deviled Eggs, and Grandma Ethel's Calico Baked Beans.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...