Saturday, May 12, 2012

Beets and Sweets

Beets and Sweets- Right out of the oven

Since my life has been hectic and most of my bakeware is in boxes till my move next weekend, I wanted to post something thing that is super simple and that I have found to be incredibly delicious. I made these last night for dinner and quite truthfully try to eat them at least 2-3 times per week for thier wholistic effect.

Of course there is a story behind this recipe. About 2 months ago, I did a 21 day Standard Process cleanse, one of the suggestions for increased cleansing and improved gallbladder funciton is to eat 1/2 a beet per day. I had a definate problem with this at first, because I hated beets. I always thought they had a "dirt" taste. Through some experimentation and some researching, I found some recipes that I really enjoy. And when they are baked they lose that dirt taste and really become quite sweet. This is the most simple and tasty recipe of all the ones I tried.

Overall, the cleanse was a great expereince in my life that really allowed me to see what I was eating and in what quantity. Although I do have the occasional piece of cake or cookie it is not my everyday vice, I am a very healthy eater. The cleanse further enforced that and really make me realize how clean eating can better your mood, energy level and overall health.  It allowed me to slow down concentrate on me and my health and really heal from within. The first few days were exceptionally hard due to extra food prep and organization to get lunches planned before work. Also the first 3 days are really when your body detoxes from sugar, preservatives and toxins. This process leaves you a a little fatigued. But it only lasts 3 days. I came out of the cleanse 7 lbs lighter and feeling like I had a spring in my step.  I can not wait till fall when I repeat the process....




Beets and Sweets


I love these instead of fries as home. This recipe makes enough for one person, so mutliply as needed.


Slice beets as thin as possible- Love the color!
1 large beet
1 medium sweet potato
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Scrub beets and sweet potatoes (or peel sweet potaotes if you would like.) Cut off the ends of beets and potatoes. Slice beets and potatoes as thin as possible either with a large knife or mandolin. Place all veggie slices in a large mixing bowl and add about 2 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, about 1 tsp each. Spread veggies out in a single layer on baking sheets and place in oven for aproximately 25 minutes. You will need to check on them as they are cooking. Depending on how evenly you cut all the slices, some will be done before others. You will know they are done when they shrink up and become somewhat crispy. The beets do take a little longer and don't crips as much as the sweet potato.  Take finished ones off the pan and continue to cook the others.

Ready for the oven!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...