Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas

I have tons of these chickpea recipes stashed away in my recipe archives.  I think by now, I have so many, I could probably blog "Chickpeas 50 Ways." So, last weekend, I finally got bored enough to give it a try. Isn't it funny how some recipes you see and just have to make right now!!! I remember one night before I started this blog, I  ran out of work and straight to the grocery to get ingredients to make an amazing Blackberry Wine Chocolate Cake. It could not wait!!! Thank goodness our grocery stores here in South Carolina sell wine or my "sweet dreams" would have been shattered.  I would have had to wait 24 more hours and that was not possible. Ironically, my "OMG emergency recipe cravings" are always something involving chocolate and sugar. Ironic?  Probably not. Stress induced you say........ you must have been reading for a while.

On the other hand....chickpeas..... not such an emergency.

I am happy to report that this recipe was excellent. It was super simple and made a great tasty, treat that was healthy. When eaten right out of the oven, they taste a lot like a peanut.  After cooling a little, they have a crunchy texture that is a great substitute for many common snack foods such as chips or pretzels, but much healthier. Maybe through this little experiment, I have realized that those recipes that are stashed away are my attempt to save the best for last. Next chickpea adventure- Curried Chickpeas!




Garlic cheesy goodness

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas

2- 15.5 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Spread chickpeas on several layers of paper towels and allow to dry for 30 minutes.

Chickpeas draining

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss all to coat. Add cheese and stir until oil is absorbed.


Coated and "cheesed" and ready for the oven

Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Best if eaten while warm, but can be placed in plastic bags and stored for a later time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...