Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gobs AKA Whoopie Pies






So here I am... in a  'baking emergency." As you all well know, I am baking/ blogging for a purpose (of course you all have read my About...) Tonight, the purpose is to distract my overly busy mind, to make something that reminds me of home and to feel comforted.  As you have probably guessed, I had a shitty day!!

In the past year, I have taken to my bed when the "going has gotten really, really tough."   I am not ashamed of that fact, but tonight after driving around aimlessly for a while, talking to my little sister, and having some BFF intervention, I began to crave what is comforting to me.  I needed to be busy and what better way than to bake. Still in my work, dress clothes I begin to dig through cabinets. I needed something that is home; PA home that is. I also wanted something chocolate. What better recipe than Gobs; a western PA favorite?? As I began to mix, measure and muse ( baking therapy at it's best),  I realized that nothing is going to keep me down; no matter the pain, no matter the obstacle, I will persevere. I am strong, I am beautiful, and I am worthy of the best things in life. And while the escape of my bed can make me feel good for a little while, I am a "stand up and fight kinda girl." I am my Daddy's girl. I say it how it is, never back down to something I truly believe, and love those who love me back with every ounce of my soul.

As you all know, my blog's logo is... Love Begins In The Kitchen.  Tonight I wasn't mixing up love for others. I was prepping myself to be a stronger person and mixing in a whole lot of love for the most important person in my life..... ME!

OK... I will admit a few Gobs helped in that strength process. Ahhh chocolate.....



Gobs AKA Whoopie Pies, Suzy Q's or just Chocolate Cake Sandwich LOVE!!

This is my Mom' s recipe and a western PA favorite as I have noted. My Mom used to make them and package each individual one in a baggie to allow for easy eating and to prevent the cake from sticking to your fingers. The cake on these is very moist and sticky.

 In PA, Gobs are sold in about every church bake sale and even mass produced by one of the area's favorite convenience stores. Those store bought Gobs will do in a pinch, but nothing is better than a home made Gob! I know the name is strange, however as noted above, in different areas of the east coast they are called different things.. My question is: Does it really matter what we call it? It is delicious.


Bet you can not eat just one...
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 cup flour
2 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Mix cake mix as directed on the box then add the rest of the ingredients.


First mix the cake mix as the box states.

Drop by heaping Tbsp. onto cookie sheets. I know that you can buy bakery scoops but I like to just use a Tbsp from my serving ware. Bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until dry on top.  Do not cook too long. These are easy to burn since they are already dark in color.


Irregular shapes are O.K. Who says perfect is best?


Allow to cool on the pan and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.

 

Gob Filling

3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 Tbsp vanilla

In a pan, cook the first 3 ingredients over low heat until thick. Cool this mixture completely.


It is important to use whole milk.
After the mixture is cooled, in a separate mixing bowl cream together the last 3 ingredients. Beat well or as my original recipe says- Beat to Hell. I asked my mom exactly how long that is and she stated about 8 minutes on high. After beating add the cooled mixture that you make previously and beat well again.

Match up like gob halves. Make sure they are like sizes and shapes so you have a good size sandwich. Top one gob side with filling and then place another side on top so you have a sandwich. These can be stored in individual bags for about 2 days or  you can place them in a air tight container for about 2 days.

Yield about 12- 2 inch gobs.

Enjoy! I know I did!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...