Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mini Frozen Citrus Pies



Summer is fast approaching! And for me it can not come fast enough! One thing I love about summer is the fact that my back porch becomes my second living room. Most nights you can find me outside reading with my golden retriever Charlie at my feet, blogging on Bonbons and Biscotti or laughing with friends while sipping some red wine. Everyone knows when they come to my house that if you knock on the front door and no one answers, walk around to the backyard and you will find me- on my porch. Every year, I decorate my porch with pots of fresh herbs and flowers and last year my Mom and I went shopping for some great new bright cushions and accessories that make this area the cheeriest place in my house. It really is THE place to be from April till October.



So why am I sharing this recipe? This recipe is the perfect little individual dessert to have in the freezer whenever those surprise guests show up for some porch sittin'. Make these mini cream pies ahead of time in whatever citrus flavor that you like and keep them on the ready. These are refreshing and tart.  They are perfect for an after dinner treat, a talk with a friend or a decadent snack when you have had a bad day. Go ahead eat two! You deserve it!

Mini Frozen Citrus Pies

These pies can be made low fat by using low fat sweetened condensed milk, graham crackers and whipped topping. They can also be made with whatever citrus fruit you have around. If you choose lime and you want a grown-up treat, add 1 tsp tequila to the mix. Yum!!


16 graham cracker squares
2 tablespoons butter, melted
8-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (or lemon or orange)
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest (or lemon or orange)
8-ounce tub frozen light non-dairy whipped topping, thawed according to package directions
(If you want them to be the color of the citrus fruit, add a little food coloring in the appropriate color.)



Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place graham cracker squares in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add melted butter and process until blended.




Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners. Spoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each paper liner (about 1 1/2 tablespoons per muffin cup). Press down to form a firm crust. Bake 8 minutes, until crisp.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin cups. There’s enough filling to create nice, high pies. Freeze until firm.



Recipe adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...